April 6, 2017 - Webinar: Common Practice Issues How The Code Can Help
Webinar only ~ no in person attendance
April 6, 2017 12 Noon - 1:00 PM
The Law Society of Manitoba, Director of Regulation, Leah Kosokowsky will moderate a Q&A discussion, relating to issues such as:
- Withdrawal & Termination of Retainer: When is withdrawal permitted? When is withdrawal required? What are lawyer's obligations before and after withdrawal? Can you assert a solicitor's lien? Does the new lawyer owe any duties?
- Changing firms: obligations to clients, taking client files, clients with a contingency agreement and disputes with the firm
- Client Files: obligations, transfer of open files, retention and storage of closed files and client requests for closed files
- Duty to Other Lawyers: courtesy and good faith, responding to communications, fulfilling undertakings and trust conditions, when to make a complaint and how to reach out for help
- Client Capacity: ability to instruct, best interests of the client and taking protective action
Darcia Senft, Director of Policy and Ethics, The Law Society of Manitoba
Noelia Bernardo, Director of Complaints Resolution, The Law Society of Manitoba
Moderator: Leah Kosokowsky, Director of Regulation, The Law Society of Manitoba
Webinar Registration Fee:
Lawyer - $45.00 (plus GST)
Note: Registration fee includes materials sent electronically if any.
This program may be reported for up to 1 hour of eligible CPD activity, including 1 hour of EPPM.