You are here: Home > For Lawyers > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I become a member of The Law Society of Manitoba? 

A.      The process for becoming a member depends on your status outside of Manitoba:

If you are a practising member of a law society in another Canadian jurisdiction, go to the information on Mobility.

If you have received your legal education outside of Canada or are a lawyer in another country interested in being admitted to practice law in Manitoba, click here

Q. I am a non-practising / inactive member of The Law Society of Manitoba. How do I resume active practice status?

A.      There is an Application to Resume Active Practice (click here to download form) which must be completed by all members wishing to return to active practice.

Q. What is a principal and how do I become one?

A.      A principal is a supervisor and mentor for articling students-at-law during their year-long apprenticeship. Members in good standing of The Law Society of Manitoba with at least three years of practice experience may apply to become a principal by filling out a form and submitting it to the Admissions and Membership Department for consideration.  Applicants must meet the criteria for principals established by the Society. Click here to download the Application to Act as a Principal.

Q. I’m employed with practising status but am thinking of providing legal services outside of the parameters of my employment.  What does The Law Society of Manitoba require from me?

A. If you are not required to be insured pursuant to subsection 19(3) of the Legal Profession Act and you intend to practise outside the scope of your employment you will be required to obtain professional liability insurance coverage prior to commencing practice outside of your employment.  In all cases the Society will require you to submit a Member Update form informing the Society of the details of your practice.  This information will include whether you are carrying on a sole practice or you are part of a firm or otherwise.  Additional information can be provided by a letter attached to the Update form.  Questions about trust or general accounts requirements should be directed to a Law Society auditor.

Document Actions
CPD Reporting Requirements
New Information Posted
Upcoming CPD Events
September 19, 2014 - Mental Health and Lawyers: Real Life Lessons
LSM - Mental Health and Lawyers: Real Life Lessons
September 23, 2014 - Making Great and Lasting First Impressions (Webinar)
September 24, 2014 - Grace Under Pressure: Taking the "I" out of Family Law
September 30, 2014 - Limited Scope Retainers: Tips and Traps (Webinar)
October 2, 2014 - Everyday Ethics Series: Conflicts 101...Avoiding, Spotting, Resolving them
October 3, 2014 - Perfecting the Twenty-First Century Law Practice
October 7, 2014 - Intellectual Property: Protection and Enforcement
October 16, 2014 - Anatomy of an Estate
October 24, 2014 - The Approximately 11th Annual Accommodation in the Workplace, Featuring an Analysis of Recent Cases
October 30, 2014 - Canadian Competitive Bidding Law - for Lawyers!
November 3, 2014 - Everyday Ethics Series: Complaints and Discipline 101 (The Inside Story)
November 4, 2014 - Assisted Reproduction: Legal Parentage & Birth Registration
November 7, 2014 - New Legislation: The Municipal By-Law Enforcement Act
November 15, 2014 - Criminal Defence Advocacy Skills Workshop: Charter Defences in Drug Cases
November 28 & 29 - 2014 Isaac Pitblado Lectures - Accessing Justice: Beyond Barriers
December 3, 2014 - Everyday Ethics Series: Money 101 (Billing, Accounting, Borrowing and Lending)
December 8, 2014 - Can’t We all Just Get Along: Using Estate Planning Agreements to Address Family Issues
January 9, 2015 - Everyday Ethics Series: Privilege and Confidentiality
February 11, 2015 - Everyday Ethics Series: Mobility 101...from Pangnirtung to Chicoutimi
October 2014 - March 2015: Everyday Ethics Series
March 11, 2015 - Everyday Ethics Series: Glass 1/2 Full (Little Things that Cause Big Problems)